Aqueous macrobial eDNA bibliography
Environmental DNA (eDNA) sampling has been variably used to describe the sampling of genetic material from environmental samples. For the purposes of this bibliography, I take a relatively narrow definition along the lines of Thomsen and Willerslev (2015): Environmental DNA sampling is the sampling of genetic material from environmental samples where individuals or pieces of individuals are not isolated prior to analysis. Thus, sampling for sloughed fish DNA in a water sample is eDNA, but species identification from a hair snare is not. Further, I've adopted language proposed by Turner et al. (2014A) where microbial eDNA refers to sampling of small, whole individuals (such as bacterial cells) and macrobial eDNA refers to sampling of genetic material that has been separated from the body of a relatively large organism. This bibliography focuses on macrobial eDNA from water samples. Most papers focus on contemporary eDNA (versus ancient DNA; Thomsen and Willerslev 2015). The bibliography is based on a list originally assembled by Dan Isaak for the Climate-Aquatics Blog (#72). The list has also benefited from a literature search conducted by Mae Giddings (click link for her own bibliography). Another excellent eDNA bibliography resource is available from Washington State University.
The bibliography is now assembled in this PDF. If you would like to suggest any additional citations or make any corrections to this list, please send me an email: taylor (.) m (.) wilcox (at) gmail (.) com
- Aquatic eDNAtlas Project Public database with ~8,000 eDNA sampling and analysis results from across the US. All sampling locations tied to the National Hydrography Dataset and are linked to physically-archived samples for new analyses.
- Environmental DNA journal Accepting submissions starting October 2018. Takes a broad perspective on "eDNA" including ancient DNA, diet analysis, microbial systems. PDF journal flier
- Washington State University eDNA Toolbox Lots of useful resources here including a well-curated Mendeley bibliography, database of single-taxon qPCR assays, links to other labs, and more.
- eDNA detection probability calculator Based on a simple model of the eDNA sampling detection process described in Wilcox et al. (2016; Biological Conservation), this estimator can be used in back-of-the-envelope initial study design and to compare collection and analysis protocol decisions.
- The Rangewide Bull Trout eDNA Project User-friendly web interface for data on sampling at >3,000 sites. Downloadable shapefiles, supporting science, and project updates.
- RCN EukHiTS Resources (including curated Mendeley bibliographies) and links with an emphasis on microbial eukaryotes.
- Post-doc eDNA position